Sunday, December 8, 2013
Time for sharing
For those of you blessed with an extra bean or two, this is the time for giving to worthy causes.
In these fragile economic times, it seems like there are more non-profit organizations than ever competing for your attention, and money.
Please consider donating close to home to organizations in our community that lend a hand to those in need and make our world a better place.
The following groups do an outstanding job of making the world a little brighter:
• The Goochland Christmas Mother—this year we have a Christmas Mother and Father, Elizabeth and Marc Jones—provides Christmas cheer for those in need. Mail contributions to P O Box 322, Goochland, Virginia 23063. Visit the website at www.goochlandchristmasmother.org.
• Goochland Free Clinic and Family Services traces its beginnings to a group of local women who wanted to help people in need who were not eligible for state or federal assistance. It has grown into an organization that provides access to healthcare and basic human services for those in need. As more people fall”through the cracks” the need for GFCFS help grows. Send checks to P O Box 116, Goochland, Virginia 23063, or visit their website: goochlandfreeclinicandfamilyservcies.org
• An amazing group of community volunteers who work as Court Appointed Special Advocates, CASA for short, are the eyes and ears of the court and the voice of children adrift in our legal system. The dedication of these wonderful people who volunteer their time and talents to help children is a tribute to the human spirit. Funded by ever diminishing grant dollars, Goochland CASA puts every donated Penney to good use. Send donations to: Goochland CASA P O Box 910, Goochland, VA 23063. Visit the CASA website at www.goochlandcasa.org.
• The Goochland School Board has worked hard to keep the school budget in check. The Goochland Education Foundation works to obtain private and public funding through grants and donations to enrich and maximize learning and fine arts opportunities with a focus on rigor, relevance, and respect. Send donations to: Tom Deweerd, Registered Agent, Goochland Education Foundation, 2938-I River Road West, Goochland, Virginia 23063. Visit the website at www.goochlandedu.org.
• Last, but certainly not least, are our furry friends. For the Love of Animals in Goochland, FLAG, is our local animal rescue group. FLAG volunteers rescue and foster pets discarded or otherwise in peril, gets them healthy, and places them in suitable homes. They too spend every penny wisely, and close to home. Send donations to FLAG, P O Box 115, Manakin Sabot, VA 23103. Visit them online at www.flagpets.com.