Saturday, March 18, 2017
On March 12—about ten o’clock, a loud noise shook Goochland County. It turned out to be another earthquake. According to the USGS, the epicenter of the 2.3 magnitude quake was west of Fairground Road on the south side of Broad Street Road.
Visit http://goochlandva.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=74 for related information supplied by Goochland County.
In other news, Virginia General Assembly Delegate Peter Farrell, who represents the 56th District, which includes the eastern portion of Goochland, announced that he will not seek reelection this November. Farrell began his tenure in the GA when he was selected by the Republican Committee Chairmen of the 56th District to be the Republican candidate in August, 2011. That action happened a couple of hours after the “big one” that shook of Central Virginia, and damaged the Washington Monument.
So far, one democrat and two republicans have thrown their hats into the race for party nominations to succeed Farrell. There will be a primary in June to select candidates for both parties. This will be the second change in Goochland’s delegation to the GA in as many years. In January, Mark Peake of Lynchburg won a special election to succeed Tom Garrett in the 22nd District State senate seat. The District is comprised of Louisa, eastern Goochland and north western Henrico.
The two announced republicans hail from Louisa, which has the highest number of voters in the district. There is speculation that others may enter the race. Initial candidate paperwork must be filed by March 30. It looks like the close working relationship that Goochland, caught between two larger voter bases, has enjoyed with its GA delegation could become just a fond memory.
Both the Goochland Board of Supervisors and Economic Development Authority met in closed session this week to discuss “…a prospective business or industry or the expansion of an existing business or industry where no previous announcement has been made of the business’ or industry’s interest in locating or expanding its facilities in the community, as permitted by Section 2.2-3711 (A)(5) of the Code of Virginia.”
Meetings like this can lead to announcements of projects like the Hardywood Park Craft Brewery complex, currently under construction in West Creek, or nothing. Stay tuned.
The EDA is crafting an update to the economic development strategic plan developed in 2011. Joint workshops with the Board of Supervisors on this topic are expected in the next few months.
An announcement that the proposed rehabilitation hospital planned for The Notch in West Creek cleared the state’s Certificate of Public Need (COPN) hurdle sooner than expected is more good news for Goochland. This will bring another healthcare option closer to county residents and add jobs to the local economy.
Those who worry that the upsurge in economic development threatens the rural nature of Goochland should take heart. The county’s 2035 Comprehensive Land Use Plan expects 85 percent of the county will still be rural. The other 15 percent will not.
Don’t forget about the upcoming closure of Fairground Road next week. See the county webpage http://goochlandva.us/ for details.